There is robotic navigation…
THEN THERE IS ExcelsiusGPS®
ExcelsiusGPS® is the next revolution in robotic spine surgery from Globus Medical, the developer of spinal and orthopedic implants and surgical instruments for patients with spinal disorders.
How does ExcelsiusGPS® work?
ExcelsiusGPS® is used in spine procedures such as posterior screw and rod fixation. On the day of surgery, medical images are taken and imported into ExcelsiusGPS®. These images are used by your surgeon to determine the size and placement of screws and create a surgical plan based on your anatomy. The surgical plan guides the rigid robotic arm to a specific region of your spine, similar to a planned route or pathway on a GPS. The surgeon uses this pathway or route to accurately place screws using instruments.
Throughout the procedure, the surgical instruments and implants are continuously displayed on the screen for the surgeon and staff to monitor. This display allows the surgeon to view live feedback during your procedure.
Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery:
What is it?
A minimally invasive technique is when a small incision is used and muscles are separated rather than split during surgery.
It is important to understand that surgery is individualized to the patient and the patient’s symptoms. Discuss with your physician if minimally invasive surgery is right for you.
The surgeon operates through small incisions along the spine.1
Less Tissue Damage
A minimally invasive technique allows the surgeon to separate the muscles surrounding the spine rather than cutting through them.2
Shorter Hospital Stay
Less tissue damage and smaller incisions may lead to a shorter hospital stay and a quicker path to recovery.2
1. O’Toole, John. Surgical site infection rates after minimally invasive spine surgery. J Neurosurg Spine (2009) 11: 471-476.
2. Tian, Nai-Feng, et. al. Minimally invasive versus open transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion: a meta-analysis based on the current evidence. Euro Spine J (2013) 22: 1741-1749.
Questions to ask your surgeon
- Am I a candidate for minimally invasive spine surgery with ExcelsiusGPS®?
- How can I benefit from minimally invasive spine surgery with ExcelsiusGPS®?
- What can I expect the day of the surgery?
- What can I expect after surgery?