Amniotic Membrane Allograft
SteriShield® II is produced from human amniotic membrane. Due to its inherent anti-adhesive properties, amnion is an ideal barrier to protect neural elements, anterior vessels and hardware from scar tissue adhesion.
Guarding Against Epidural Fibrosis
Epidural fibrosis or scarring can result after surgery in the epidural space, in which scar tissue adheres to the nerve roots and the exposed portion of the dura within the spinal canal. SteriShield™ II can be used to aid in the prevention
of epidural fibrosis by providing a barrier to the dura and nerve roots.1, 3
Epidural fibrosis has been associated with:
- Recurrence of pain after discectomy4, 5
- Lengthened revision surgical time4, 5
- Increased rate of revision complications, including dural tears and nerve damage4, 5
Amnion patches have been shown to aid in:
- Reducing the occurrence of dural and nerve root adhesions (epidural fibrosis)1, 3
- Preventing soft tissue adhesions to implanted hardware2
- Reducing complications from revision surgery associated with epidural scarring, such as dural
tears, nerve damage, and increased bleeding1-5
- Tao H et al. Implantation of amniotic membrane to reduce postlaminectomy epidural adhesions. Eur Spine J 2009;18:1202-1212.
- Subach BR et al. The use of a dehydrated amnion/chorion membrane allograft in patients who subsequently undergo reexploration after posterior lumbar instrumentation. Adv Orthop. 2015; 2015: 501202.
- Choi H et al. Effect of Amniotic Membrane to Reduce Postlaminectomy Epidural Adhesion on a Rat Model. J Korean Neurosurg Soc 2011; 49:323-328.
- BenDebba M et al. Association between peridural scar and activity-related pain after lumbar discectomy. Neurological Research 1999; 21: S37-S42.
- Benoist M et al. Postoperative lumbar epiduro-arachnoiditis: Diagnostic and therapeutic aspects. Spine 1980; 5: 432-436.
- Kubo M et al. Immunogenicity of human amniotic membrane in experimental xeno translplantation. Investig Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2001; 42: 1539-46.
- Yang JJ et al. The effect of amniotic membrane transplantation on tendon-healing in a rabbit Achilles tendon model. TERM 2010; 7(3): 323-329.